You toss. You turn. You count sheep. But still your mind is whirling. For 50 percent of the nation’s population, getting a good night’s sleep is harder than mining gold. The below simple yet powerful tips for falling asleep faster can help tremendously. Researchers have identified lack of sleep as a cause of many significant health issues and high stress levels. Maharishi Ayurveda honors sleep as one of the four pillars of health. And it offers a wide arsenal of tools to improve your sleep—from structuring a more relaxing daily routine to eating the right foods.
It even offers specific advice for solving various kinds of sleep problems. The first problem is the most common: difficulty falling asleep at night. This is caused by Vata imbalance or mental stress. People who toss and turn, unable to fall asleep because their mind is on overdrive, have this issue. It tends to happen to people who are anxious, worried or who have to rush around a lot during the day (sound familiar?). If it takes more than 15 minutes before the sandman visits you at night, you might try one of these tips to fall asleep faster and to sleep better in general.
10 Ways to Fall Asleep Faster at Night
1. Eating more sweet, sour and salty foods helps balance Vata dosha, the mind-body operator that controls mental activity.
2. Eating three warm, cooked meals at the same time every day is recommended.
3. Getting to bed before 10:00 p.m. and rising by 6:00 a.m. is also advised.
4. As much as possible, avoid rushing during the day.
5. You can make your own Poppy-Seed Sleep Aid and eat it one hour before bed (see recipe in box).
1 t. white poppy seeds
1 t. coconut powder (fresh grated if possible)
1 pinch of cumin
1 pinch of turmeric
Small amount of ghee (clarified butter)
In a small bowl mix the poppy seeds with the coconut powder, adding small amounts of water as you mix until it forms a thick paste, and set aside. Melt the ghee in a frying pan until it turns clear. Add turmeric and cumin and mix well. Remove immediately; simmer without heat until
the color and aroma of the spices change slightly. Add to the poppy seed mixture, mix well and let stand five minutes. Add a little salt to taste. Eat one hour before bed for best results.
6. It’s best to avoid watching TV or using digital devices the hour before sleep.
7. Massaging your hands and feet with Rejuvenation Massage Oil before bed also helps.
8. Another suggestion is to use aroma therapy at bedtime. Pure lavender oil or Slumber Time are recommended.
9. Taking Blissful Sleep herbal supplement one hour before bed helps balance Vata dosha and therefore falling asleep faster.
10. You can also listen to soothing music, such as Maharishi Gandharva Veda, before bed.
Feeling like this is too much to do all at once? You might try adding just one of these habits a week to feel more relaxed during the day and to sink into a happy sleep at night.