Why we love this recipe
According to Ayurveda, consistent, gentle detox with the help of teas, spices, and herbs is a recipe for good health. Ama Pachana means to purify ama (toxins). Sipping this simple hot spice water drink helps flush toxins from the body, while enhancing digestion.
Prepare a large batch of this spice water recipe in the morning, and transfer it to a thermos to keep it warm and carry with you for easy sipping throughout the day.
- Two quarts purified water
- Two to three thin slices of fresh ginger
- ¼ teaspoon of cumin seeds
- ¼ teaspoon of fennel seeds
- Two black peppercorns
- Two mint leaves
- Bring two quarts of fresh water and the spices to a boil. Lower the heat, and simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Strain spices out of the tea (or use a tea strainer). Pour into a thermos (or insulated container) to keep the tea warm. Sip throughout the day.
For more on the power of Ayurvedic detox, check out Taking Care of Toxins: Detoxification with Maharishi Ayurveda.