Occasionally worried and tense? Create calm with this comforting latte featuring one of the most popular Ayurvedic adaptogens—ashwagandha. Adaptogens are a class of herbs that help build the body’s natural resistance to stress. A unique attribute of ashwagandha is that it’s both soothing and strengthening; it promotes a calm, centered mind and deep sleep while supporting the immune system, energy, vitality, and healthy functioning of the reproductive systems for both men and women. Ashwagandha extract is purposefully paired with organic ghee which amplifies the nutritive qualities of both while acting as a carrier for the herb. Sweet, gently warming spices and organic, raw honey help to ground Vata dosha, the element governing air, space, and movement in the mind and body. When out of balance, excess Vata can lead to feeling spaced out, scattered, and occasionally worried or nervous.
Sip and savor this creamy, comforting latte as a nightcap to wind down, or anytime you want a tasty tonic to de-stress! Serves 1
½ cup cashews (unsalted, unroasted), soaked at least 4 hours or overnight
2 ½ cups purified water
Pinch pink Himalayan salt
1 cup homemade cashew milk (or unsweetened store bought alternative)
1 teaspoon Pure Indian Ashwagandha Ghee
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
1 ½ teaspoons raw organic honey, or to taste
Optional: more cinnamon as garnish
- Make cashew milk—place soaked cashews, water, and salt in a blender (high-speed works best), and blend until smooth (about 1 minute).
- Slowly warm 1 cup of the cashew milk in a saucepan over medium heat. (Save the remaining milk for creamer or other delicious recipes).
- Add Ashwagandha Ghee, cinnamon, and cardamom and whisk until combined. Remove the pan from the heat before boiling.
- Once the mixture has cooled slightly (warm, but not hot to the touch), stir in the honey*.
- Pour into your favorite mug and dust the top with additional cinnamon if desired.
*According to Ayurveda, heating honey to high temperatures renders it toxic. Add honey only after your beverage/food has come down to a comfortable drinking/eating temperature. Taste Notes
Creamy, sweetly spiced, gently warming, and comforting.