Why we love this recipe
This simple cilantro chutney recipe calls for the remarkable coriander leaf (a.k.a. cilantro) as well as holy basil (tulsi). More than just a delicious topping, cilantro chutney helps to cool Pitta dosha while gently cleansing toxins from the digestive tract. It’s an excellent choice for Pitta mind-body types and hot summer days.
Cilantro and holy basil in Ayurveda
Both cilantro and holy basil are helpful in eliminating two particular kinds of toxins recognized by Ayurveda — amavisha (deep-seated toxins) and garavisha (environmental toxins). Flavorful and beneficial, these herbs make a great addition to the daily diet.
Cilantro is celebrated in Ayurveda for its cooling properties and is balancing for Pitta. It also contains natural flavonoids and phenols that help the body deal with allergens.
- Holy basil is one of the most sacred herbs in Ayurveda. Sweet, bitter, pungent, and warming, it helps balance Vata dosha and Kapha dosha—especially in the respiratory tract—and can be beneficial for Pitta in small doses as well. If you grow holy basil in your home, it helps to purify the air. (Holy basil grows easily in most spring-summer North American climates.)
- 8 teaspoons of chopped organic cilantro leaf
- 1 teaspoon of shredded organic ginger
- ½ teaspoon of organic lime or lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon of chopped holy basil leaf
- A little water to blend
- Mix all ingredients and blend together to a thin paste. Add salt to taste.
- You can make this cilantro chutney recipe daily and enjoy it with cooked veggies, rice and other grains and flatbreads (chapatis).
Want to learn more about ama and how to keep it to a minimum naturally? Check out our article on Taking Care of Toxins: Detoxification with Maharishi AyurVeda.
© 1999, 2023 Maharishi AyurVeda Products International, Inc. (MAPI). All Rights Reserved. MAPI does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. See additional information.