Why We Love This Recipe
Cardamom gives this light, tasty tea cake its distinctive flavor. Sweet and slightly pungent, cardamom is a warming spice that’s an excellent digestive. Enjoy this healthy, easy-to-make dessert with your family and friends.
- ¼ cup of unsalted butter
- 2½ cups of unbleached white flour
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 2/3 cups of buttermilk
- 1 cups of sugar
- 2/3 cups of water
- ½ teaspoon of baking soda
- 1½ teaspoons of ground cardamom
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 1¼ cups of sugar
- ¾ cup of unbleached white flour
- ½ cup of unsalted butter
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F (180 °C). Butter and lightly flour a 13 x 9 pan.
- Cream the butter and sugar thoroughly.
- Mix the dry ingredients and sift over the butter-sugar mixture.
- Mix the buttermilk with the water. Pour over the dry ingredients and mix just until blended. Spoon into the pan.
- To prepare the streusel topping: Mix the sugar and flour together. Cut the butter into small pieces and work into the dry ingredients with your fingers or a pastry cutter until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Sprinkle evenly over the cake batter.
- Bake for 30 – 40 minutes.
Recipe is reprinted with permission from Heaven's Banquet, by Miriam Kasin Hospodar. April 2000
Keep on topic
© 1999, 2021 Maharishi AyurVeda Products International, Inc. (MAPI). All Rights Reserved. MAPI does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. See additional information.