A sweet, Vata-balancing salad with Indian and North African flavors!
4 - 6 Servings
- 2 tablespoons of sesame or other mild-flavored oil
- Pinch of hing (optional)
- ½ teaspoon of brown mustard seeds
- 1½ teaspoons of cumin seeds
- 3 cups of grated carrots
- ½ cup of chopped dates
- ¼ cup of lightly-toasted pistachios
- 2 tablespoons of finely-chopped crystallized ginger
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- ¼ cup of orange juice
- 1 tablespoon of finely-grated orange zest
- ½ teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the hing and mustard seeds and sauté over low heat until the mustard seeds “pop.”
- Add the carrots and toss for 30 to 60 seconds, just to take the raw edge off of them.
- Remove immediately to a bowl.
- Add all the remaining ingredients and toss thoroughly. Serve at room temperature.
Recipe is reprinted with permission from Heaven's Banquet, by Miriam Kasin Hospodar. April 2000
© 1999, 2021 Maharishi AyurVeda Products International, Inc. (MAPI). All Rights Reserved. MAPI does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. See additional information.