Ayurvedic Date Milkshakes—dates and whole milk blended with spices—are a popular treat, especially beneficial for balancing Vata and Pitta doshas. This sweet, frothy date shake is wonderful for an energy boost, making it a great breakfast or a healthy afternoon pick-me-up snack.
Why we love this recipe
It’s chock-full of dates, which are rich in vitamins, minerals, and fiber. The combination of dates and milk in Ayurveda helps to promote ojas, or vitality. It takes just a few minutes to prepare. You can use organic whole milk or almond milk.
Date Milk Recipe
- 4-5 whole dates, pitted (Medjool variety or similar is best)
- 1 cup whole organic milk (preferably not homogenized)
- A pinch of cinnamon
- Put milk, cinnamon and dates in an automatic blender.
- Blend until dates are ground fine.
- Serve warm in winter, room temperature or slightly cool (not cold) in summer or if a strong Pitta imbalance exists.
Date milkshakes are a quick way to get a nourishing, nutritious energy boost. Simple, whole foods like fruit, vegetables, and whole grains prepared fresh are Ayurvedic power foods that provide prana—life force—for optimal health and wellbeing.
© 1999, 2021 Maharishi AyurVeda Products International, Inc. (MAPI). All Rights Reserved. MAPI does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. See additional information.