Ayurvedic Date Milkshakes—dates and whole milk blended with spices—are a popular treat, especially beneficial for balancing Vata and Pitta doshas. This sweet, frothy date shake is wonderful for an energy boost, making it a great breakfast or a healthy afternoon pick-me-up snack.
Why we love this recipe
It’s chock-full of dates, which are rich in vitamins, minerals, and fiber. The combination of dates and milk in Ayurveda helps to promote ojas, or vitality. It takes just a few minutes to prepare. You can use organic whole milk or almond milk.
Date Milk Recipe
- 4-5 whole dates, pitted (Medjool variety or similar is best)
- 1 cup whole organic milk (preferably not homogenized)
- A pinch of cinnamon
- Put milk, cinnamon and dates in an automatic blender.
- Blend until dates are ground fine.
- Serve warm in winter, room temperature or slightly cool (not cold) in summer or if a strong Pitta imbalance exists.
Date milkshakes are a quick way to get a nourishing, nutritious energy boost. Simple, whole foods like fruit, vegetables, and whole grains prepared fresh are Ayurvedic power foods that provide prana—life force—for optimal health and wellbeing.