One 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf
- 1/4 cup of ghee or butter
- 1 1/4 cups of raw or packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups of unbleached white flour
- 3/4 cup of whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons of arrowroot or cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of ground cardamom
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 cup of buttermilk
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1 cup chopped of pitted dates
- 1 cup of chopped pistachios
- Preheat the oven to 350º. Butter and lightly flour a 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan.
- Cream the butter and sugar.
- Mix the dry ingredients together and add to the creamed mixture.
- Add the buttermilk and water, and mix just until all the ingredients are blended. Mix in the dates and nuts.
- Spoon into the loaf pan and spread evenly. Bake for 1 hour.
Recipe is reprinted with permission from Heaven's Banquet, by Miriam Kasin Hospodar. April 2000
© 1999, 2021 Maharishi AyurVeda Products International, Inc. (MAPI). All Rights Reserved. MAPI does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. See additional information.