These savory, organic pine-nut-studded muffins are wonderful accompaniments to luncheons and dinners, in addition to playing their usual role as breakfast fare. You can prepare them in no time in a food processor.
- 1 cup of water
- ½ cup of organic polenta
- ⅓ cup of melted organic ghee with garlic and rosemary
- 1 cup of unbleached organic white flour
- 2 tablespoons of organic raw or brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon of baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup of organic buttermilk
- Heat the oven to 400 °F.
- Butter a muffin tin.
- Bring the water to a boil.
- Slowly stir in the polenta.
- Cover, remove from the heat without cooking, and allow cooling to room temperature.
- Mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, soda and salt together.
- Beat the ghee into the polenta until the grain is free of lumps.
- Add to the dry ingredients.
- Add the buttermilk. Beat just until the ingredients are mixed together and no more.
- Overbeating toughens the muffins.
- Bake for about 20 minutes until done. Be careful not to overbake, or the pine nuts will burn.
- Remove each muffin carefully to a platter. (Do not overturn the muffin tin and shake out the muffins, or you’ll lose all the pine nuts!)
- Serve warm with more ghee with garlic and rosemary for spreading.
Recipe is reprinted with permission from Heaven's Banquet, by Miriam Kasin Hospodar. April 2000
© 1999, 2021 Maharishi AyurVeda Products International, Inc. (MAPI). All Rights Reserved. MAPI does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. See additional information.