Why We Love This Recipe
Nothing says summer quite like a big juicy watermelon with sweet, bright pink flesh. From picnics to pool time, the refreshing melon makes an appearance on many plates. However, according to Ayurveda, melons are best eaten alone due to their speedy digestion. Combining melon with other foods creates ama, toxins from partially digested food. Instead of a slice post-meal, make this cooling, alkalizing watermelon juice first thing in the morning, or as a satisfying snack—your stomach will thank you!
Watermelon is a nutrient-dense fruit full of antioxidants, amino acids, vitamins C, A, lycopene, and potassium. It contains 92% water and 6% sugar, perfect for pacifying Pitta dosha during the high heat of summer. It’s also balancing for Kapha dosha due to its low-calorie, detoxifying, and diuretic qualities. To keep Vata in check, add the optional pinch of salt and warming, digestive-boosting cardamom to stay grounded and be sure to serve the juice at room temperature—steer clear of ice!
This summer, blend up this refreshing watermelon juice enhanced by cooling mint and alkalizing lime that further the heat-squelching benefits. It's a delicious drink the whole family will love!
- 6 cups cubed seedless watermelon
- Handful mint leaves
- Juice of 1-2 limes
- Pinch of pink Himalayan salt
- Pinch of ground cardamom
- Place cubed watermelon, mint leaves, and lime juice into a blender. (High-speed like the Vitamix works well).
- Blend on high until smooth.
- Serve as is, or pour through a strainer to remove the pulp for a smoother juice.
- Optional: add pinches of salt and cardamom to balance Vata dosha. Stir well & enjoy!
- Sweet, refreshing, minty, and cooling with a tart twist.
© 1999, 2021 Maharishi AyurVeda Products International, Inc. (MAPI). All Rights Reserved. MAPI does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. See additional information.