Why we love this recipe
This easy-to-make lentil dish can be cooked using a thermos! It’s nutritious, purifying, and makes a great on-the-go meal. Try making it with the Veda Jar, a mindful thermos from Shri Wellness.
Green leafy vegetables and Ayurveda
Green leafy vegetables contain vital nutrients that help replenish fluids while purifying the shrotas, your body's subtle channels. They're also rich in prana, or life-giving energy, and help to balance Kapha and Pitta doshas. Add extra ghee or oil when preparing for Vata dosha.
Lentils and Ayurveda
In the vegetarian Ayurvedic diet, lentils are an excellent choice for satisfying protein. A half a cup of cooked lentils provides about 12 grams of protein, as well as 30% of your recommended fiber intake. Lentils also contain nutrients like iron and folate. Read more about lentils as an Ayurvedic source of protein.
Begin your meal earlier in the day, then pack it with you to continue cooking while you go about your normal activities. When you’re hungry later in the day, your meal will be ready!
- 1 teaspoon of Organic Kapha Churna
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- ½ cup of green lentils, washed and soaked for 30 minutes 2 cups water
- 1 ½ cups of dark, leafy greens, finely chopped (beet greens, chard, spinach, or dandelion greens)
- 24 ounces stainless steel thermos
- Heat Organic Kapha Churna and salt in a saucepan on low for about 1 minute or until fragrant. Drain the lentils and add to the saucepan. Stir to coat lentils with spices. Add in water. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to boil.
- Once boiling, turn down heat to medium-low. Cook for 5 minutes, then add greens. Bring up to boil again and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Transfer to a 24 oz thermos jar, then seal. Let rest for 3 – 6 hours before eating. Drain excess water before eating. Salt to taste. Garnish with freshly chopped parsley or basil and a squeeze of lemon or lime.
For Vata dosha: Do not remove extra liquid. Substitute red lentils or mung beans for the green lentils and Organic Vata Churna for Organic Kapha Churna.
For Pitta dosha: Do not remove extra liquid. Substitute Organic Pitta Churna for Organic Kapha Churna.
- For Vata dosha: Do not remove extra liquid. Substitute red lentils or mung beans for the green lentils and Organic Vata Churna for Organic Kapha Churna.
- For Pitta dosha: Do not remove extra liquid. Substitute Organic Pitta Churna for Organic Kapha Churna.
The recipe is perfect to pair with the Veda Jar, a mindful thermos from Shri Wellness.
© 1999, 2023 Maharishi AyurVeda Products International, Inc. (MAPI). All Rights Reserved. MAPI does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. See additional information.