Why we love this recipe
This tasty Summer Fruit Salad recipe makes a delicious dessert, afternoon snack, or pancake topping. It’s chock full of sweet, juicy fruits, which are very balancing for Pitta dosha—the mind-body energy that governs all things heat-related—including digestion and metabolism. This recipe also includes nutrient-rich walnuts, almonds, and raisins, plus some digestive spices.
Fruits in Ayurveda
Sweet, juicy fruits—like mangoes, sweet berries, and melons—are very balancing for fiery Pitta dosha. Pitta is hot, sharp, fiery, and oily in nature, and sweet, juicy fruits are the opposite: cool, moist, sweet, and soothing. In Ayurveda, it is said that like increases like and opposites balance. That’s why summer salad with fruit is a great choice for the balmy weather and climates.
Other ways to keep cool this summer
- Stay hydrated! Drink plenty of room-temperature water to keep yourself from overheating. But try to avoid ice-cold beverages and foods, as they can weaken your agni (digestive fire). Our Cooling Summer Water with rose petals and cooling spices makes a refreshing, caffeine-free, non-iced tea.
- Eat cooling foods! Follow a Pitta-balancing diet and enjoy Pitta-balancing fare like our Summer Pasta with Cream Sauce.
- Check out this webinar archive on how to Keep Your Summer Cool At Work Rest And Play.
And, of course, try this delicious summer salad with fruit! (Tip : use fresh, ripe, organic fruits.)
- 1 mango
- 2 pears
- ½ pound strawberries
- ¼ cup raisins
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon ground almonds
- 2 teaspoons organic sugar
- Pinch of cardamom
- Peel and cube mango and pears. Quarter strawberries.
- Gently mix all the ingredients.
- Let it stand for 10 minutes.
© 1999, 2023 Maharishi AyurVeda Products International, Inc. (MAPI). All Rights Reserved. MAPI does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. See additional information.