Why we love this recipe
This delicious, nutritious dish is very nourishing and balancing for fiery Pitta dosha. Ayurvedic Sweet Rice calls for sattvic (pure, balancing) ingredients like basmati rice, raisins, and ghee, all of which harmonize the mind and body. Mung beans, milk, and cashews offer high-quality protein. A bit of sweetness and spice gives this dish a tasty finish. An easy-to-digest treat for Pitta!
- ¾ cup of basmati rice
- ½ cup of split mung beans with skins
- ¾ cup of brown sugar or crushed jaggery
- A large pinch of nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon of ground cardamom
- ⅓ cup of chopped cashews
- ⅓ cup of sweet raisins
- 2 tablespoons of ghee
- A few strands of saffron soaked in a Tbsp.
- Wash and drain rice and mung beans and cook in 2-3 cups water until tender and soft.
- Add the brown sugar or crushed jaggery and the saffron/milk and mix well. Stir constantly to prevent the rice mixture from sticking to the pot and reduce heat to low after the sugar/jaggery is blended.
- Heat the ghee and fry the nuts and raisins until golden.
- Add the cardamom and nutmeg to the ghee, turn off the heat and mix into the rice mixture.
- Serve warm.
- Note — Jaggery and basmati rice are available at most Indian grocery stores.
Note: Jaggery and basmati rice are available at most Indian grocery stores.
Discover more Ayurvedic recipes.
© Copyright 1999, 2023 Maharishi AyurVeda Products International, Inc. (MAPI). All Rights Reserved. MAPI does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. See additional information.