The Amalaki plant, as it is called in Sanskrit, is called Indian Gooseberry in English, Amla in Hindi and Emblica Officinalis Gaertn., Phyllanthus Emblica or Terminalia Emblica in Latin. The fruit of this plant — a small berry — is the only ingredient in the Organic Premium Amla Berry tablets from Maharishi Ayurveda. Amalaki fruit is also a major ingredient in Amrit Nectar and Amrit Ambrosia.
Of all the Rasayanas — ayurvedic formulations revered for their positive influence on the physiology — Amalaki is considered one of the most potent and nourishing. The Charaka Samhita says, "Amalaki is the best among rejuvenative herbs."
The Amalaki is actually a moderate-size deciduous tree with gray bark and reddish wood that grows in the tropical subcontinent of India. All parts of the plant are used in various ayurvedic herbal preparations, including the fruit, seed, leaves, root, bark and flowers.
The fruit is very sour when you bite into it. But after a few minutes, after it mixes with saliva or if you take a sip of water, it becomes sweet. The forest variety has bigger seeds and smaller fruit than the hybrid variety, which means that you must collect many more fruits to make the Rasayana.
Wide Range of Benefits
There are many benefits that Amla Berry, found in MAPI's Organic Premium Amla Berry tablets, imparts that are mentioned in ayurvedic texts and experienced by people in India for thousands of years and now by people in the West as well. Here is a list of some of them:
- Excellent source of Vitamin C. Amla Berry is rich in Vitamin C, containing about 720 to 921 mg of Vitamin C for every hundred grams of edible material. It is the most concentrated form of Vitamin C found in the plant kingdom, and because the whole fruit is used rather than an active ingredient, it is easily assimilated by the human body. The Vitamin C in the Amalaki fruit is bonded with tannins that protect it from being destroyed by heat or light.
- Enhances food absorption. The regular use of Maharishi Ayurveda Organic Premium Amla Berry tablets can strengthen digestion, absorption and assimilation of food. People taking it notice that they enjoy the taste of food better. It enhances all thirteen digestive fires (agnis). But it works more slowly and gently than ginger or other digestion-enhancing herbs, so it can be taken by people with a lot of Pitta without fear of creating excess stomach acid. In addition, it improves assimilation of iron for healthy blood.
- Balances stomach acids. Because it improves digestion but does not heat the body, Organic Premium Amla Berry is ideal for calming mild-to-moderate hyperacidity and other Pitta-related digestive problems. It should always be taken with food in this case.
- Fortifies the liver. Organic Premium Amla Berry helps purify the Rasa Dhatu (nutrient fluid) and Rakta Dhatu (blood), supporting the functions of the liver. It also stimulates the liver, helping it in eliminating toxins from the body. Research shows that it helps lower cholesterol.
- Nourishes the brain and mental functioning. Amla Berry is good for the brain. It is medhya, nurturing and enhancing coordination among dhi (acquisition), dhriti (retention), and smriti (recall); and sharpening the intellect and mental functioning. It supports the nervous system and strengthens the senses.
- Supports the heart. It is hridya, which means it nurtures the heart, blood and circulation. It supports the cardiovascular system. On the other hand, it sometimes acts as a cardiac stimulant. For this reason, if you have a heart condition, you should check with a medical doctor before using Amla tablets.
- Strengthens the lungs. The Amla Berry tablets help pacify Kapha dosha as well. Therefore, Amla Berry is a wonderful tonic for strengthening and nourishing the lungs (which are a major seat of Kapha dosha in the body), and the entire respiratory tract. It also pacifies Shleshaka Kapha, which among other things governs moisture balance in the lungs.
- Regulates elimination. Organic Premium Amla Berry tablets also pacify Apana Vata, thus helping with the downward flow of energy in the body. They keep the function of elimination regular and ease constipation.
- Enhances fertility. By balancing Apana Vata and by nurturing all the dhatus (body tissues), Organic Premium Amla Berry also helps keep menstruation regular and healthy. Amla Berry supports the reproductive systems of both men and women and can help overcome difficulty in conceiving. It is a Vrishya herb, which means that it enhances all the seven tissues (dhatus), including the reproductive tissue. This herb nurtures the ovaries and sperm, and it has a property called garbhasthapana, which means it enhances fertility and the possibility of conception. It is especially nurturing for women, strengthening the uterus and supporting reproductive health.
- Helps the urinary system. Because it enhances all the thirteen agnis (digestive fires) and supports Apana Vata, Amla Berry is especially supportive to the urinary system and can be helpful if you experience a mild burning sensation while urinating. It supports natural diuretic action, but does not force water from the body like diuretic pills. In other words, it helps eliminate waste from the body but does not over-stimulate the urinary system.
- Good for the skin. Because Amla Berry strengthens digestion, helps the liver detoxify and is rich in Vitamin C and other nutrients, it is very good for the complexion. Amla Berry moisturizes the skin, cleanses the tissues of toxins, and supports immunity of the skin against bacterial infection. It helps enhance glow and luster.
- Promotes healthier hair. Amla Berry boosts absorption of calcium, thus creating healthier bones, teeth, nails and hair. It also helps maintain youthful hair color and retards premature graying, and supports the strength of the hair follicles, so there is less thinning with age.
- Acts as a body coolant. Although Amla Berry is good for all doshas and seasons, it is especially effective in the hot season to cool Pitta dosha. It is an especially good Rasayana for people with Pitta and Vata body types.
- Flushes out toxins. Individuals who have been eating "junk" food for a while tend to have accumulated deposits of preservatives and additives in the liver. Amla Berry helps support the liver in flushing out chemicals and additives from the physiology.
- Increases vitality. Because it has five tastes and supports all the doshas and many body functions, and cleanses the blood and the microchannels of the body, Amla Berry increases energy and removes fatigue. It supports regeneration of cells — the process by which tired, old cells are replaced by vital, new ones.
- Strengthens the eyes. Amla Berry is called Chakshushya, which means "strengthening the eyes" (Chakshu means "eye" and ayushya means Rasayana, so it is literally a "Rasayana for the eyes"). It supports the health of the eye by enhancing both Ranjaka Pitta (the subdosha of Pitta that governs liver function and the blood plasma) and Alochaka Pitta (the subdosha of Pitta that governs the eyes and vision). The tridoshic nature of Amalaki also makes it a good tonic for the eyes.
- Improves muscle tone. Amla Berry enhances protein synthesis, which is why it is good for strengthening muscles and building lean muscle mass. Its unique ayurvedic action offers athletes and bodybuilders a natural way to tone muscles and build lean mass.
- Acts as an antioxidant. Organic Premium Amla Berry tablets, and other Rasayanas that contain Amalaki such as the Amrit Nectar and Ambrosia, are effective broad-spectrum antioxidants and free radical scavengers, helping to reduce disease and slow the aging process.
- Enhances immunity. All of the benefits already mentioned make Amla Berry, found in MAPI's Organic Premium Amla Berry tablets, a strong immunity booster.
Processing for Potency
It is the processing method that makes the Organic Premium Amla Berry Rasayana many times more powerful than the simple fruit or fruit powder. The traditional ayurvedic processing enhances its potency and increases the natural intelligence of the fruit. We do this without destroying or disturbing any of its delicate qualities.
To start with, we make certain that the processing area is extremely sanitary and pure. It's a very sophisticated process, especially when you are handling large batches of these very delicate fruits in a tropical climate such as India, where the chance of bacterial contamination is greater. That is why we place great importance on keeping the processing area absolutely sterile. It requires a dedicated team of Sattvic (pure-minded), hygiene-conscious workers. Because of these challenges, the high level of purity of Maharishi Ayurveda's Amla products is truly unique.
Keep on topic
© 1999, 2021 Maharishi AyurVeda Products International, Inc. (MAPI). All Rights Reserved. MAPI does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. See additional information.