In Ayurveda, good digestion is considered one of the pillars of good health. When you digest and assimilate your food well, you naturally feel brighter, clearer, more energetic, and optimistic. But when your digestion is off, you may feel a bit sluggish, irritable, or occasionally bloated. Over time, you may also start to develop other unpleasant health issues, ranging from skin blemishes to allergen sensitivities.
Fortunately, Ayurveda offers a wealth of simple strategies to help you digest better naturally, starting with a healthy whole foods diet. For a little extra fine-tuning, you can try Ayurvedic herbs and herbal supplements for digestion.
Ojas, ama & digestion
If your food isn’t properly digested, this can lead to the production of what’s known in Ayurveda as ama—a sticky substance in your digestive tract. Over time, a build-up of ama tends to hamper digestion further, leading to complaints like occasional constipation and gassiness, fatigue, emotional lows, skin breakouts, and menstrual discomfort.
Maharishi AyurVeda’s herbal formulas for digestion are formulated to support healthy digestion naturally, helping you avoid a build-up of ama. They also promote the production of ojas. Loosely translated as “vigor” or “vital essence,” ojas is the by-product of healthy digestion, a subtle substance that supports natural immunity, vitality, radiant skin, and overall well-being.
Ayurvedic herbal formulas for digestive balance
Organic Triphala Rose
Organic Triphala Rose is one of our most effective—and popular—digestive blends. This formula contains three renowned Ayurvedic fruits:
- amalaki (amla berry)
- haritaki (chebulic myrobalan)
- bibhitaki (belleric myrobalan)
Each fruit is a rasayana (or rejuvenative) in its own right. Because Organic Triphala Rose contains three rasayanas in one compound, it is considered one of the most valuable herbal preparations in the world of Ayurveda. We’ve also added a fourth ingredient—cabbage rose—for its cooling effect on the digestion.
A Daily Digestive Detox
Taken at bedtime, this mixture of herbs works as a mild laxative. When taken regularly, Organic Triphala Rose also purifies gently over time, allowing even the deepest tissues and organs of the body to release toxins. Along with its cleansing properties, Organic Triphala Rose helps with assimilation and absorption, rather than depleting the body of nutrients (as conventional laxatives often do). Learn more about the benefits of triphala.
The Making of an Herbal Masterpiece
Our signature herbal triphala blend stands out for a few more reasons.
- At Maharishi AyurVeda, we use only the most rare, highest-grade of fruits and herbs, as described in the traditional texts.
- To ensure that only the purest ingredients reach your cells, we use fruits grown without pesticides, chemical fertilizers, or exposure to environmental pollutants.
- The fruits are harvested only when they are ripe on the tree. This is an Ayurvedic agricultural rule that ensures that the full nutritional and balancing intelligence of the plant is available.
Our popular Herbal Di-Gest is another powerful digestive blend. Taken before meals, this blend of Ayurvedic herbs and botanicals offers a bit of extra support with digestion and assimilation, helping you avoid occasional bloating and gas. This daily digestive formula is a meticulous blend of:
- long pepper
- black salt
- rock salt
- hing asafetida
When blended in the proper proportions, these herbs and spices support healthy digestion while helping to reduce ama. Pomegranate seeds both stimulate and support healthy appetite and the process of digestion. The seeds we use in this formula are processed in the precise method described in traditional Ayurvedic texts, maximizing their potency.
Balances the Six Ayurvedic Tastes
The ingredients in Herbal Di-Gest also include the six Ayurvedic tastes.
Each taste stimulates a different aspect of digestion and metabolism, supporting more complete assimilation. This leaves you feeling lighter and more comfortable after meals. Learn more about the six tastes of Ayurveda and why it’s good to include each one in every meal.
More Benefits of Herbal Di-Gest
Our Herbal Di-Gest formula has the added benefit of promoting a regular appetite and naturally balancing cravings. That means you’re less likely to reach for that chocolate cupcake during the mid-afternoon slump. When you’re satisfied after your meals, you’re less inclined to “graze” during the day.
Creating Powerful Herbal Formulas
As with Organic Triphala Rose, the herbs in Herbal Di-Gest are combined in precise proportions and prepared according to samyoga, the traditional Ayurvedic science of herb blending. This improves the bioavailability of vital nutrients. It also creates synergy—the collective benefit is much greater than that of the individual herbs.
Tips for improving digestion and elimination
These simple but powerful Ayurvedic lifestyle adjustments help to improve digestion and energy levels, fostering better overall wellness.
- Avoid eating leftovers and foods that contain preservatives. Your body has to work harder to eliminate these impurities from the liver and cells.
- Avoid cold drinks, as these tend to diminish digestive power.
- Drink plenty of warm water throughout the day to help flush toxins from the body.
- Avoid cigarettes, cigarette smoke, alcohol, drugs, chemicals, and
- exposure to other toxins as much as possible, including chemicals in fabrics and household materials.
- Aim to get to bed by 10 p.m. each night to support your body’s
- natural purification cycle—from 10 p.m. to 2 a.m. Learn more about unwinding at bedtime the Ayurveda way.
- Eat your main meal at noon, when your digestive fire (agni) is at its highest.
- Don't watch TV, read, or work while you're eating. Allow your body to be focused on digestion.
- Engage in light, pleasant conversation while you're eating; it supports good digestion.
Eat plenty of green, leafy vegetables and stick to a high-fiber diet of fresh fruits, vegetables, legumes, and grains.
Want to learn more easy ways to boost your digestion naturally? Check out our article on Six Ayurvedic Secrets for Excellent Digestion.
© 1999, 2023 Maharishi AyurVeda Products International, Inc. (MAPI). All Rights Reserved. MAPI does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. See additional information.