Why We Love This Recipe
Fruit crisps are simple to prepare and easy to digest; they are a favorite in Ayurveda! Served warm, this delicious dessert is balancing for Vata and Pitta.
For a variation of the topping, add a handful of finely chopped nuts, such as walnuts, almonds or pecans, to balance Vata or shredded coconut to balance Pitta. Kapha types can enjoy this dessert as well by reducing the sugar content.
- 5 cups berries
- 2 ½ tablespoons arrowroot or cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ½ cup raw or packed brown sugar
- ⅔ cup unbleached white or whole wheat flour
- 1 ¼ cups rolled oats
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup unsalted butter
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Butter an 8-inch square baking dish or 9 ½ x 6 ½-inch pan.
- Mix all the ingredients for the filling together and spread evenly in the baking dish.
- To prepare the topping by hand: combine the dry ingredients for the desired topping with your fingers or a pastry cutter until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- To prepare the topping in a food processor: process everything together except the oats, then stir them in by hand.
- Crumble the topping evenly over the fruit.
- Bake until the topping is lightly browned and the fruit is tender about 45 minutes.
Recipe is reprinted with permission from Heaven's Banquet, by Miriam Kasin Hospodar. April 2000
© 1999, 2021 Maharishi AyurVeda Products International, Inc. (MAPI). All Rights Reserved. MAPI does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. See additional information.