Why we love this recipe
There are many methods to make fresh yogurt. You can buy an automatic electric yogurt maker, but you can easily make yogurt without one.
Freshly-made yogurt is packed with healthy bacteria that support digestion and kill harmful viruses. Yogurt makes a great breakfast food, and is good for balancing Vata.
- One quart of organic whole milk
- 2 tablespoons of yogurt
- Heat milk until it foams up. Turn off heat and allow it to cool to about body temperature.
- Just test the temperature with your finger, or if you use a kitchen thermometer, the milk should cool down to about 100 °F.
- Pour the milk into a sterilized glass jar or ceramic bowl. Mix in the yogurt. Make sure the yogurt is at room temperature before you use it.
- Cover the jar with a lid and put it in a warm place where there is no draft. For example, put the jar in an oven without the oven on but keep the oven light on.
- The light provides just enough warmth that is needed to activate the yogurt. Do this in the evening, and in the morning you will have fresh yogurt.
If you do not have an oven light, you can place the jar on top of a warm toaster oven that is set on the lowest temperature for about six hours or more (not in the oven but on top).
Another method is to take a thermos and pour hot water into it for several minutes. Empty the water out and add the milk/yogurt mix into the thermos. Cover and let stand overnight. In the morning you will have fresh yogurt. Save some of the yogurt from the new batch for your next batch.
The Salton Yogurt Maker is also a good way to make yogurt; however, one should leave the yogurt in for less time than the instructions specify in order to keep the yogurt from turning sour. Three hours makes great yogurt for lassi.
Discover more delicious and healthy Ayurvedic recipes.
© 1999, 2021 Maharishi AyurVeda Products International, Inc. (MAPI). All Rights Reserved. MAPI does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. See additional information.