Flavorful curries don’t need to be complicated. Whip up this easy potato and pea curry with warming spices at a moment’s notice—Ayurvedic comfort food at its finest!
Why We Love This Recipe
In Ayurveda, potatoes have a grounding quality because they’re grown in the ground. If you’re feeling scattered or spacey, it’s a great meal to make. Potatoes have a heavy quality which is perfectly balanced with warming spices in this recipe—ginger, cumin, turmeric and fenugreek all support digestion.
Ayurvedic Potato and Pea Curry Recipe
- ¼ cup of ghee
- Pinch of hing (optional)
- 1 tablespoon of minced fresh ginger
- 1½ teaspoons of cumin seeds
- 5 cups of potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 1 cup of water
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon of ground fenugreek
- 1 cup of peas
- Chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- Heat the ghee or oil in a pot.
- Add the hing, ginger, and cumin seeds and sauté for 1 minute over low heat, stirring frequently.
- Add the potatoes and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the water, turmeric, fenugreek, peas, and a sprinkling of salt.
- Cover and simmer until the vegetables are tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Adjust the salt.
- Sprinkle with chopped cilantro and serve over rice or chapati bread.
Curries are a simple way to dress up otherwise low-flavor vegetables. Ayurvedic spices aid digestion, and bring balance to simple meals. For more delicious recipe ideas, head to the recipe blog.
© 1999, 2021 Maharishi AyurVeda Products International, Inc. (MAPI). All Rights Reserved. MAPI does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. See additional information.