Why we love this recipe
This sweet and soothing chutney contains poppy seeds, which have naturally relaxing properties. Enjoy a spoonful an hour or less before bedtime to help you drift off.
- 1 teaspoon of white poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon of coconut powder (fresh-grated is best)
- 1 pinch of cumin
- 1 pinch of turmeric
- Small amount of organic ghee
- In a small bowl mix the poppy seeds with the coconut powder, adding small amounts of water as you mix until it forms a thick paste, and set aside.
- Melt the ghee in a frying pan until it turns clear (cloudiness is gone).
- Add turmeric and cumin; mix well.
- Remove immediately; simmer without heat until the color and aroma of the spices change slightly.
- Add to the poppy seed mixture, mix well and let stand for five minutes.
- Add a little salt to taste.
The clarity of the ghee is important in the cooking. When the ghee becomes clear, the temperature is just right for bringing out all the benefits of the herbs.
Eat at night, less than one hour before bed for best results.
- Natural sleep aid; balanced both Pitta and Vata
- Pacifies Vata, especially in the mind (Prana Vata)
- Pacifies Pitta in the heart and mind (Sadhaka Pitta)
These are the subdoshas most likely to affect good-quality sleep.
Discover more Ayurvedic recipes.
© 1999, 2023 Maharishi AyurVeda Products International, Inc. (MAPI). All Rights Reserved. MAPI does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. See additional information.