Toxins are a principle factor in most diseases. There are two sources of toxins: sources that bring toxins from outside the body, and sources that generate toxins from inside the body. The majority of toxins and impurities that you accumulate in your body this year will most likely be from little mistakes in your own metabolism. These mistakes create useless impurities instead of crucial nutrients from your foods. Ayurveda has a name for these internally-created impurities: ama.
Maharishi Ayurveda explains that ama is created when the 13 agnis, or digestive "fires," are weak or inefficient. There are actually four conditions of digestive fire, three of which carry the potential to create this harmful ama until it interferes with normal functioning of mind and body.
- Balanced Fire— Ideal — Balanced fire does not produce ama
- Low Fire— Fire is too weak or low — This can produce ama
- Sharp Fire— The fire is too intense and targeted — This can produce ama
- Imbalanced Fire— Some aspects are high, some are low — This can produce ama
When the temperature and quality of the weather are fluctuating (as at any change of seasons), the body is much more prone to imbalanced fire. Therefore, in the junction point between the seasons we need to support our physiology by doing some detoxification to remove accumulated ama. It is also important to maintain good eating habits and daily routine during these demanding times.
We can't control the fluctuations of the weather, but we do have control over our own lifestyles. In warm seasons, the physiology can tolerate some limited mistakes in lifestyle, but not when the seasons are changing. This is why more colds, flus, and other diseases appear during the early fall and spring as the weather changes from warm to cold, or back to warm.
Land and Seed Theory (Beej-Bhumi Theory)
The "Land and Seed" Theory of Ayurveda: "Even the strongest seed will not grow in infertile soil."
If you plant a banyan tree, the banyan tree is not going to grow if the land is not fertile. In this analogy, the body is the land while the bacteria, virus, allergen, pollen, etc. are the seeds.
And the environment is another crucial factor. Sometimes the environment is very supportive for the seed and contrary to the land, as during the change of seasons. During the change of seasons, the environment supports the seed to start to sprout even when the land is not very fertile. So we need to take care of the land more diligently. We have to do something to make the land more infertile to prevent the sprouting of disease.
One more factor is fertilizer, which gives the seed a better chance of growing. There are many types of fertilizer for disease, but the most common one is ama. This is why it is important to try to remove the ama from our bodies, as ama helps the seeds (viruses, etc.) to gain strength. With fertilizer, environmental support, fertile land and a seed, we have everything necessary to sprout a disease. This is why it is important to have a good routine, and undertake the steps necessary to remove existing ama from the body.
We have a product which is directly targeted to make our body, or the "land," infertile to disease. This is the ayurvedic nutritional supplement called Bio-Immune (see Featured Ayurvedic Formula below). Based on the theory of land and seed, Bio-Immune has all the properties to make our body more infertile to disease by enhancing the immune system.
Many of the herbs in this formula have been found in studies to be powerful immunomodulators.
- Nimba (also called Neem) is good for regulating the whole immune system in the blood.
- Guduchi (also called Indian tinospora) is good for all types of immunity.
Tips for the Change of Season
- Don't skip meals.
- Drink warm water. (Boil the water first for 10 - 20 minutes, then let cool to a comfortable temperature before drinking.)
- Keep a regular routine. Eat your meals on time and go to bed by 10:00 p.m.
- Avoid leftovers and foods with preservatives or artificial flavors, as these types of foods tend to produce ama.
- Try the Elim-Tox or Herbal Cleanse formulas to help with the removal of ama.
Herbal Formulas to Boost Immunity During Colder Weather
- Bio-Immune — For enhancing overall immunity
- Sniffle Free — To improve natural resistance against cold
- Cold Weather Defense — To strengthen natural defenses
Herbal Teamwork in the Maharishi Ayurveda Formula — Bio-Immune
This ayurvedic herbal formula helps to enhance the immune system and helps to make the body an unfit soil for disease to take root and grow (called the Beej-Bhumi, or "seed and land" approach):
- Helps remove digestive impurities that interfere with proper immune function (ama)
- Enhances the 13 fires of digestion and metabolism to prevent digestive impurities (13 agnis)
- Aids coordination between cells to maximize immune response (Shleshaka Kapha)
- Blocks the effects of stress on the immune system with a powerful adaptogenic herb (Ashwagandha)
- Improves the psychoneuroimmune response (Prana Vata, Sadhaka Pitta, Tarpaka Kapha)
- Enhances liver function and purifies the blood (Ranjaka Pitta)
Ashwagandha (root), Boerhavia (root), Indian tinospora (stem) extract, Holy basil (leaf), Gotu kola (whole plant), Vidanga (fruit), Neem (leaf), Dwarf morning glory (whole plant), Indian tinospora (stem's starch), Ginger (rhizome), Long pepper (fruit), Pepper (fruit), Mica, Coral, Mesua (flower). Other ingredients: Gum acacia, Hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, Silicon dioxide. No preservatives, no fillers, no artificial binders. 100% pure and natural ayurvedic formula.
The Maharishi Ayurveda Council of Physicians (Vaidyas) recommends taking 1-2 tablets twice a day with warm water, preferably after breakfast in the morning and just before bed at night. For the full cumulative effect, take for three months after gaining the desired results, to establish healthy functioning as a more permanent habit. Do not take Bio-Immune at the same time as Elim-Tox, Radiant Skin and Be Trim Tea. These formulas are very potent, and it is best to focus on just one change in the body at a time. If you want to detoxify the system first for maximum effect, do that for 45 days before starting Bio-Immune.
Keep on topicHow to Strengthen Your Immunity This Winter
© 1999, 2021 Maharishi AyurVeda Products International, Inc. (MAPI). All Rights Reserved. MAPI does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. See additional information.