As you start shedding layers of winter clothing this spring, you may notice that your skin and scalp are shedding, too. Winter months tend to dry out your skin—but come spring, your complexion naturally begins to cast off those dull, dusty layers. Help your skin look its best this season by gently exfoliating it on the outside and cleansing it deeply from the inside.
Spring—A Season of Natural Detox
Ayurveda suggests a skin care calendar that follows the rhythm of the seasons. Spring is the ideal season to focus on deep-cleansing the skin from within and without to foster healthy skin cell growth and counter excess oiliness and breakouts, which tend to be more common at this time of the year.
Just as the warmth of spring starts to melt the snow outside, toxins (ama) that may have accumulated in your body throughout the year also begin to loosen at this time. If your body doesn’t purify these toxins naturally, they may collect in channels of your body and create a variety of unpleasant symptoms. You may start to feel dull, heavy and congested, or your skin may lose its glow and become itchy, sensitive, and prone to breakouts. Ama also lowers your immunity, which can lead to skin allergies and infections.
If all that sounds unpleasant, fear not! With a few simple modifications to your diet and daily routine, you can send those toxins packing.
Natural Skin-Detox Diet Tips for Spring
Your skin is a mirror of what's happening inside your body. Beautiful skin begins from within, with a balanced diet, good digestion and proper absorption of nutrients by your body.
Since springtime is Kapha season and reflects this dosha’s cold, heavy, slow qualities, it’s helpful to modify your diet to warm things up a bit. In your cooking, balance Kapha dosha by avoiding heavy, cold, and oily foods and by reducing sweet, sour and salty tastes. Instead, favor pungent, bitter, and astringent tastes. Following a light, warm, and nourishing Kapha-pacifying diet also helps reduce ama and supports the detoxification process.
Eat light. Cut down on heavy, cold foods; deep-fried foods; and rich sweets. Include several servings of fresh organic vegetables, especially cooked leafy greens, in your diet.
Certain foods naturally support the detoxification process. Leafy green vegetables, Brussels sprouts, and white daikon radish are especially purifying for your body’s channels. Whole grains like wheat, barley, and quinoa contain plenty of water-soluble nutrients and fibers—much like the veggies listed above—that aid detoxification.
Stay Hydrated & Drink Skin-Detox Spice Water
Make sure you drink lots of pure water to keep things flowing. Sip warm water throughout the day, or if you are Pitta, drink it at room temperature. To help purify your skin, add the following spices to two quarts of boiled water: 2 pinches of Manjistha, 2 pinches of Indian Sarsaparilla and 1/4 teaspoon fennel seeds. Drink this water during the day, either warm or at room temperature according to your body type.
Keep Things Moving—Inside and Out
Proper elimination is crucial for healthy, glowing skin. If you are prone to constipation, add cooked prunes and figs to your diet, and eat lots of sweet, juicy fruits. A brisk walk can increase your metabolism, enhance the detoxification process, and improve circulation to your skin. The fresh air and a little sunshine will also refresh your complexion and uplift your mood.
Want to go a little deeper? A seasonal detox program can help purify your whole body, including your skin. Take Elim-Tox or Elim-Tox-O for two months, along with Organic Digest Tone tablets or Herbal Cleanse capsules. These herbal formulas help your body flush out the toxins that can accumulate during the winter months.
Try These Natural DIY Skin Exfoliants
As you are purifying your body from the inside, it’s helpful to cleanse and exfoliate your skin on the outside, too. Oats are among nature's best exfoliants! Try whipping up this DIY facial exfoliant at home—and (bonus) you can use it on your face and body as well.
- For Vata skin, mix a large quantity of 80 percent rolled oats, 10 percent marshmallow root, 5 percent jasmine flower and 5 percent lavender flower.
For Pitta skin, mix a large quantity of 80 percent rolled oats, 5 percent rose buds, 5 percent lavender flower, 5 percent Indian Sarsaparilla and 5 percent dried orange peel.
For Kapha skin, mix a large quantity of 70 percent rolled oats, 10 percent orange peel, 5 percent Indian Sarsaparilla, 5 percent lavender flower and 10 percent bentonite clay.
- Place two tablespoons in the middle of a small square of cheesecloth, gather up the ends of the cloth into a ball and tie with a string. Make enough balls for a month and store them in an airtight container.
- Every night dip one ball into warm milk and pat your face to cleanse and moisturize your skin. Rinse with warm water. If you have breakouts or dry patches on your skin, use the bentonite clay daily. After washing your skin, apply a thin paste of the clay on your skin. Leave it on for 3-4 minutes, then wash it off. Follow with some aloe vera gel or coconut oil, both of which are soothing and nourishing for the skin.
Use your DIY exfoliant once or twice a week, and follow it up with our nourishing Youthful Skin Oil and Cream.
More Natural Skincare Tips
Natural skin care products rich in botanicals that gently cleanse toxins from the skin and nourish skin cells will help rejuvenate winter-weary skin and bring the bloom back.
- Try to do a warm oil massage (abhyanga) regularly and follow with a warm bath or shower to allow impurities to liquefy and flow out of the body tissues. Our Youthful Skin Massage Oil contains powerful herbs to purify the skin.
- Thoroughly cleanse your face morning and night with the Youthful Skin Herbal Soap. Rinse with plenty of warm or room-temperature water.
- It's important not to put anything on your skin that will clog your pores. Youthful Skin Cream nourishes the skin without being greasy or clogging.
- Wear a hat when you go out in the spring sunshine to protect your skin and maintain moisture balance.
Support your body's natural tendency to detoxify itself this spring, and enjoy a healthy, radiant glow!
© 1999, 2021 Maharishi AyurVeda Products International, Inc. (MAPI). All Rights Reserved. MAPI does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. See additional information.