why we love this recipe
Grains like bulgur are beneficial in Ayurveda because they help in creating whole proteins when combined with legumes, beans or milk products. (Choose organic non-GMO foods whenever possible.) This delicious Bulgur Wheat Salad recipe includes plenty of herbs, veggies, and spices, too.
Ayurveda recommends having grains at each meal to provide adequate energy for the body. There are a variety of different grains, and each grain has a specific influence on each Ayurvedic dosha.
Depending on whether the diet you are following is geared towards balancing Vata, Pitta, or Kapha dosha, you should choose the grains that will help balance and nourish your physiology. Vata and Pitta types can consume high quantities of grains, while Kapha types should have smaller amounts to avoid weight gain.
- 1 cup of bulgur wheat
- 2 cups of water
- 2 tablespoons of finely-chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon of finely-chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon of shredded carrots
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil (1 teaspoon olive oil for Kapha)
- 1 teaspoon of lime juice
- ½ teaspoon of ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon of ground coriander
- One pinch of ginger
Salt and pepper to taste
- Boil water and add bulgur. Bring to boil, reduce heat and cover. Simmer for 15 minutes or until bulgur is done.
- Remove from heat and pour into a bowl. Allow it to cool until room temperature or slightly warm.
- Add the fresh herbs and carrot. Toss with olive oil, lemon juice and dry spices.
Serve with chickpeas or other legumes.
Like this bulgar wheat salad recipe? Explore more delicious Ayurvedic recipes and meal ideas.
© 1999, 2023 Maharishi AyurVeda Products International, Inc. (MAPI). All Rights Reserved. MAPI does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. See additional information.