Why We Love This RecipeThis dish is a derivative of the delectable Mediterranean variety. Arborio is the standard variety of risotto found today. However, there are others available in specialty stores. We urge you to try them all. This family of rice is famous for its creamy texture and will absorb many times its weight in water. The unctuous quality can be a great comfort!
A Tip: When preparing risotto, do not wash the rice beforehand.
Serves 4 as a main course.
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 1 tablespoon Maharishi Ayurveda Organic Vata Churna
- Pinch of saffron
- 1½ cups of arborio rice
- 5¼ cups of warm water
- 1 large zucchini
- ½ pound of asparagus (about 12 medium spears)
- ½ yellow onion (optional)
- 1 tsp. lemon pepper seasoning
- ½ lemon
- Fresh ground pepper
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
- Fresh ground Pecorino or Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Melt ghee in a medium stockpot.
- Bring to a medium-high heat, being careful not to burn.
- Sauté finely-chopped onion over medium-high heat until golden and add Organic Vata Churna.
- Stir in the saffron and the arborio.
- Bring the water to a boil in a kettle and set aside.
- Sauté above ingredients for a few seconds, then add ¼ cup water to slow cooking.
- Add cubed zucchini, chopped asparagus and the lemon pepper, and sauté lightly, mixing the contents of the pot well.
- Add 3 cups of water and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to a medium simmer.
- Add remaining 2 cups of warm water, a quarter cup at a time, stirring frequently as the rice mixture absorbs the liquid.
- Stir in the juice of the lemon and ½ tsp. of salt. The absorption time is approximately 25 minutes, which may vary slightly according to cooking temperature.
- After the liquid is integrated and the dish is creamy, as a good risotto should be, turn off the stove and allow the dish to sit, covered, for five minutes.
- Add salt and fresh ground pepper to taste. Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro. Serve with ground Pecorino or Parmesan on the side, which can be sprinkled liberally over the top.
Keep on topic
© Copyright 2019 Maharishi Ayurvedic Products International, Inc. (MAPI). All Rights Reserved. MAPI does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. See additional information.