Why we love this recipe
Dress up your daily rice with digestion-boosting cinnamon, cardamom, cumin, and cloves! This fragrant, flavorful side dish makes the perfect accompaniment to any Ayurvedic meal. Pair our Aromatic Basmati Rice with your daily dahl, a veggie stir-fry, or panir.
- 1 cup of basmati rice
- 2-2½ cups of water
- Sea salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon of ghee
- 3 whole cloves
- ½ teaspoon of whole cumin seeds or black cumin seeds called 'jeeri', available in some stores
- 1 small stick of cinnamon
- 1 brown cardamom, called "moti elaichi," available in Indian stores OR 1 small green cardamom
- Wash the rice in 3 changes of water, in the same way that you wash dahls. Rice should always be washed before cooking.
- Heat the ghee on medium heat in the pan you plan to cook your rice in.
- As it heats, add cinnamon stick, cloves, cardamom and cumin seeds in that order. Wait till the cumin splutters and changes color to a darker brown. At this point, you already have all the aroma and "right" smells in your kitchen!
- Lower the heat and add rice to this, taking care not to burn yourself.
- Add the salt and water and raise the heat to high. Bring it all to a boil.
- Then lower the heat to the lowest and cover the pan ¾ of the way. The rice is done when the water is absorbed and the rice grain is tender.
- Serve it with Kadhi or your favorite dish.
I can smell it even as I write this — this one's a winner!
© 1999, 2021 Maharishi AyurVeda Products International, Inc. (MAPI). All Rights Reserved. MAPI does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. See additional information.