Why We Love This Recipe
This decadent combination of carrots, cream, and nuts make a luscious Vata-balancing dessert. For a delicious break from traditional cakes and pastries, try this carrot pudding—a rich, sweet confection. This dessert is particularly balancing for Vata dosha, as it contains nutritious carrots, unctuous ghee, protein-rich pistachios, and cardamom. The addition of milk and sugar make this treat both sattvic (balancing) and sweet!
- 2 cups of finely grated carrots
- 3 tablespoons of ghee
- 6 cups of milk
- ¾ cup of organic sugar
- ½ teaspoon of ground cardamom
- ½ cup of heavy cream
- 1 cup of finely chopped mixed nuts — cashews, peeled almonds, and pistachios
- Heat one tablespoon of ghee in a heavy-bottomed pot.
- Add the carrots and sauté in the ghee for about 8-10 minutes until soft.
- Add the milk and bring to a boil, stirring constantly to avoid burning.
- Lower the heat and continue to cook the carrots in the milk for 45-60 minutes, stirring constantly.
- At the end of this process, the milk-carrot mixture should be fairly thick.
- Add the sugar and cook for another 20 minutes, stirring the mixture to avoid burning.
- Add the cream and the powdered cardamom and cook for another 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Heat the remaining ghee in a small pan.
- Add the nuts and sauté in the ghee on medium heat until golden brown and aromatic.
- Pour the ghee and nuts over the pudding. Serve warm.
© 1999, 2021 Maharishi AyurVeda Products International, Inc. (MAPI). All Rights Reserved. MAPI does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. See additional information.