Why we love this recipe
Kheer is a quintessential Indian dessert made with three basic ingredients: rice, milk, and sugar. It is a beloved creamy rice pudding dessert in India, where it is a staple of celebrations, festivals, and special occasions.
Kheer is easy and inexpensive to make, and due to its simplicity it can be adapted to your personal tastes with some optional ingredients and flavors—such as this recipe below!
- 1 cup of water
- ½ cup of basmati rice
- 4 cups of whole organic milk
- 1 teaspoon of chopped dates
- 2 teaspoons of cashews or pistachios (unshelled)
- 3 small pieces of green cardamom, crushed
- 1 teaspoon of sugar or agave syrup (or to taste)
- Toasted coconut or Organic Rose Petal Spread
- Rinse the rice and soak in water for 2 hours.
- Boil milk.
- Drain the rice and add to milk with all other ingredients.
- Boil slowly for 30 minutes or more until the mixture reaches a slightly thick consistency, but you can stir it easily. It will thicken a little more when you let it cool.
- Garnish with toasted coconut or Organic Rose Petal Spread for added sweetness and Pitta pacification.
Explore more of our Ayurvedic recipes.
© 1999, 2021 Maharishi AyurVeda Products International, Inc. (MAPI). All Rights Reserved. MAPI does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. See additional information.