Why we love this recipe
Rice pudding is an ancient dish enjoyed by many cultures throughout history. It is perfect for the cold season, delicious, and is associated with good nutrition, easy digestion and satisfaction. It is also famous as a balancing food—it was mentioned in Ayurvedic medical texts before it was mentioned in cookbooks.
Rice pudding is known for its deep Vata-pacifying qualities. The warmth and sweetness of the rice, along with the density of the milk, fruit and rice blend, combat the cold and airy dryness of winter weather. Rice pudding helps to promote balanced health while being a pleasure to the taste buds.
The dish is both filling and flavorful. It makes a perfect dessert for the cold winter season. Cinnamon helps regulate blood sugar and blood pressure, and is Vata pacifying because of its both sweet and pungent qualities. Use dehydrated palm sugar from the coconut palm tree that contains 17 amino acids and is low-glycemic.
- 1:6 parts organic rice : organic whole milk
- 1-2 handfuls of organic raisins or Medjool dates, whichever you prefer
- 2 whole organic cinnamon sticks
- 1 teaspoon of freshly-ground organic cardamom seeds
- 1 teaspoon organic ghee
- 2-3 parts organic coconut sugar
- Rinse and wash the rice and place in an open pot with the milk.
- Cook at a low simmer (it's OK that some of the milk evaporates), stirring occasionally.
- Add whole spices — cinnamon sticks and ground cardamom.
- When the pudding is half-cooked, after about 15 minutes, add the raisins or dates.
- In the last 5 minutes, add sweetener and ghee, slowly and according to personal taste.
- The rice pudding should be thick and creamy and cook for approximately 30-40 minutes total.
- Serve and enjoy this bone-warming and delightful dish!
Try these rice recipes
- Basmati Rice Pilaf with Dried Fruit
- Basmati Rice with Corn and Coconut Milk Sauce
- Broccoli Rice Casserole
- Brown Rice
- Cauliflower Rice
- Kheer (Rice Pudding)
- Kitchari (Mung Bean) and Basmati Rice Stew
- Lemon Basmati Rice
Discover Ayurvedic recipes to balance your mind-body type.