Yields: 7 cups
Subtle accents of ginger and orange make this Vata-balancing soup unique. Wild rice adds a Kapha-balancing influence, plus color, texture and flavor that complement the suave mixture and make it worthy of the grandest occasions.
Step One (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups of water
- 1/3 cup of wild rice
- ⅓ cup ghee or butter
- Pinch of hing (optional)
- 2 tablespoons of minced fresh ginger
- 6 cups of sliced carrots
- 1 ½ cups of thinly-sliced celery
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 4 cups of vegetable stock
- ½ cup of orange juice
- Vegetable stock (if needed)
- 1 to 2 teaspoon of sugar
- White pepper
- To prepare the optional wild rice: Bring the water to a boil. Stir in the wild rice. Cover, reduce the heat, and simmer until the water is absorbed and the rice is tender, 50 to 60 minutes.
- Melt the ghee or butter in a large soup pot. Add the hing, ginger, carrots, celery, and salt. Stir, cover, and cook over a very low heat until the vegetables are very tender, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Purée the vegetables, stock, and orange juice very thoroughly in a blender or food processor. The smoother the mixture is, the easier the next step will be.
- Place a very large sieve over the soup pot. Strain the mixture through it, stirring and pressing with the back of a large spoon. Scrape the underside of the sieve periodically. Do not stop! It is essential for a creamy mixture. In the end, there should remain a small amount of fibrous material that pulls away from the sieve. Discard it.
- Heat the soup to serving temperature. Thin with more stock if necessary. Season to taste with the sugar, salt, and white pepper.
Recipe is reprinted with permission from Heaven's Banquet, by Miriam Kasin Hospodar. April 2000
Keep on topic
© 1999, 2021 Maharishi AyurVeda Products International, Inc. (MAPI). All Rights Reserved. MAPI does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. See additional information.