You can substitute sweet potatoes for the pumpkin. All manner of winter squash also work well; kabocha squash has a particularly lovely color and texture. White sugar gives the pie the best color.
One 9-inch pie
- ½ recipe Pastry Crust
- 3 tablespoons of arrowroot or cornstarch
- ½ cup of milk or cream
- 2¾ cups of puréed cooked pumpkin
- 1 cup of sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon salt (optional)
- 2 tablespoons of ghee or butter
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon of ground ginger
- ⅛ teaspoon of ground cloves
- Preheat the oven to 350 ºF. Line a buttered 9-inch pie pan with the pie dough.
- Dissolve the arrowroot or cornstarch in the milk or cream. Beat in with all the ingredients for the filling; a blender or food processor does a good job.
- Pour the filling into the crust and spread evenly.
- Bake for 1 hour. Let cool to room temperature to firm up the filling.
Recipe is reprinted with permission from Heaven's Banquet, by Miriam Kasin Hospodar. April 2000
© 1999, 2021 Maharishi AyurVeda Products International, Inc. (MAPI). All Rights Reserved. MAPI does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. See additional information.