- Chapati flour
- Extra dry flour for dusting
- Potatoes (preferably red) — usually ¾ potato to 1 parantha
- A pinch of sea salt
- A pinch of cayenne pepper
- A pinch of coriander powder
- A pinch of cumin powder
- Take a fistful of flour per chapati kneaded in a mixing bowl.
- Mix water and work the flour into a dough by taking a little water in the 'cup' of your working hand and adding it a little at a time to the flour.
- Keep kneading and adding water until the dough forms a ball and doesn't stick to the bowl.
- The dough should not be hard — it should have a little 'give' to it, without sticking.
- Boil potatoes by placing whole, unpeeled potatoes in a pan of water and boiling on high.
- When the water starts to boil, lower the heat to medium-high, cover until potatoes are soft.
- Test by piercing with a fork. If the fork goes in easily half-way through the potato, they are done.
- If there is some resistance, it probably needs to be boiled a little more.
- Turn off heat when done and take out the potatoes one at a time. Let cool and peel the skin.
- Then mash the potatoes and add the spices given above. Potatoes like salt, and love spices!
- Roll out a chapati, but not out fully. Pick up the chapati in the palm of your left hand and put about 1 big tablespoon of filling in the center.
- Cup the chapati and cover the filling with the corners of the chapati until you have a ball of dough in your hand.
- Only this time, it is filled with the boiled, mashed potato filling.
- Press this down gently on both sides into the dry, extra dough and roll out very carefully — treat this like a pregnant lady!
- While rolling out, apply more dry flour, if you think it is sticking.
- Heat your griddle and place, like the chapati.
- When you see bubbles on the surface, turn with the help of a flat spatula and apply a little ghee on the surface, which should have a few brown spots now.
- Turn over and apply ghee to the other side as well.
- Take off the griddle and apply a little more ghee or butter, if you prefer.
Enjoy with fresh Celestial Cilantro Chutney!
© 1999, 2021 Maharishi AyurVeda Products International, Inc. (MAPI). All Rights Reserved. MAPI does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. See additional information.