Ojas—the finest by-product of healthy digestion—is a central concept in Ayurveda. It provides energy and vitality, as seen in clear, sparkling eyes, glowing skin, and evident in robust immunity. One of the key ways to build ojas in the body is through eating healthy foods, taking supportive supplements, and practicing good eating habits.
The following recipes featuring rose, fruits, as well as helpful herbs and tips will help you build ojas for whole-body health and wellbeing.
Ojas food: The rose
Rose is more than an uplifting, romantic fragrance—its sweet, astringent qualities are cooling to Pitta dosha, and help balance the emotions. Like the flowers themselves, roses in food express love and elegance—and the bliss experienced is balancing to the body and helps build ojas.
A convenient way to enjoy rose in your diet is in the form of a preserve, like our Organic Rose Petal Spread. Simply enjoy it by the spoon, or whip up into simple, delicious drinks like Rose Petal Milk, Pitta Tea Lassi, or desserts like Rose Petal Cookies and Rose Halva. The culinary possibilities are endless!
Ojas-building healthy habits
The following tips soothe the body, digestion, and help build ojas.
- Eat lunch as close to noon as possible. Lunch should be your heaviest meal of the day. Include two or three servings of vegetables, whole grains, lentils and fresh cheese.
- Drink a glass of Sweet Rose Petal Lassi or Digestive Lassi flavored with cooling mint and cilantro.
- Don't skip meals, especially breakfast. If you want a light breakfast, try Stewed Apples and Pears. Stewed fruit is a great recipe for early morning nourishment. It stimulates timely elimination, as well as digestion and metabolism
- If you need to go out in the sun when it's hot, don't do it on an empty stomach.
- Eat a sweet juicy pear and a spoonful of Organic Rose Petal Spread to help reduce photosensitivity.
Cooling herbs for better digestion
Streamline your digestion with traditional Ayurvedic herbal formulas.
- If you have too many spicy foods or overeat, your digestion may need support. The Aci-Balance nutritional supplement can help put out the fire inside if you experience excess stomach acid.
- The Liver Balance formula helps to maintain liver health and keep digestion and bile production balanced.
- Premium Amla Berry is especially balancing for Pitta, and helps replenish vital nutrients that are depleted by excess heat, stress and overwork.
Build your reserve of ojas through delicious, healthy foods and lifestyle behaviors for better health. Learn more in our webinar Enlivened Ojas: A By-Product of Digestion.