Why We Love This Recipe
Ghee makes wonderfully rich, creamy soups without the use of cream. The secret of this soup's intense flavor is the slow sautéeing of the fennel in the flavored ghee. Save some of the feathery fennel tops for a garnish.
- ½ cup of ghee with garlic, fennel, & basil
- 4 cups of thinly-sliced fennel
- 4 cups of boiling potatoes, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 4 cups of vegetable broth
- White pepper
- Melt the ghee in a soup pot on a low heat. Add the fennel. Sprinkle with salt, stir and cover. Cook on a very low heat, stirring occasionally, just until tender.
- Add the potatoes and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Purée the mixture in a blender in three batches until very smooth. Return to the soup pot and season with salt and white pepper. Garnish with a sprinkling of chopped fennel tops.
Recipe is reprinted with permission from Heaven's Banquet, by Miriam Kasin Hospodar. April 2000
© 1999, 2021 Maharishi AyurVeda Products International, Inc. (MAPI). All Rights Reserved. MAPI does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. See additional information.