Ayurveda regards figs and dates as nourishing, energy-giving, structure-building fruits. Homemade fig and date bars are entirely different from their packaged brethren. For a lighter, Kapha-balancing variation substitute dried apricots or peaches.
Why We Love This Recipe
These delicious fruit bars have less sugar than the store-bought versions and make a tasty midday snack. From an Ayurvedic perspective, figs and dates fortify the body and support elimination. Nutritionally speaking, they’re also rich in calcium, iron, zinc, and potassium.
- 1 ½ cups of packed chopped figs or dates
- ⅔ cup of apple juice
- ½ cup of sugar
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 1 ¾ cups of unbleached white or whole wheat flour
- ½ cup of ground nuts
- ½ cup of wheat germ
- 2 tablespoons of arrowroot or cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 2 tablespoons of raw or brown sugar
- ⅓ cup of melted ghee or butter
- 2 tablespoons of water
- Preheat the oven to 400℉. Butter a 9-inch square baking pan.
- To prepare the filling: Simmer the figs or dates, apple juice, sugar, and lemon juice in a small saucepan for 10 minutes. Purée in a food processor or mash with a fork.
- To prepare the dough: While the filling is cooking, combine all the dry ingredients in a bowl. Add the melted ghee or butter and the water. Mix to a crumbly dough with your fingers.
- To assemble: Press half the dough evenly in the pan. Spread the fruit filling evenly over the dough. Sprinkle the remaining dough over the filling to completely cover it.
- Bake until lightly browned, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool thoroughly and cut into squares.
Variation: Replace the wheat germ with rolled oats.
Recipe is reprinted with permission from Heaven's Banquet, by Miriam Kasin Hospodar. April 2000
© 1999, 2021 Maharishi AyurVeda Products International, Inc. (MAPI). All Rights Reserved. MAPI does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. See additional information.